Common Sense Isn't Common

Saturday, June 24, 2006

It's Just Not Worth It

This seemed to be the week where almost everyone I encountered decided they wanted to convince me otherwise of some particular thing or idea. As my mother would probably be happy to tell anyone...you all wasted your time.

Someone once said to me, "The only time someone argues with your opinion is when they are trying to convince themselves of their own. If they really believed that strongly in their stance, why would your belief which is in their mind incorrect, matter so much?"

I'm not going to wholeheartedly commit to that statement, but I can feel where the man was coming from...especially on the first part. I went through this week feeling like I needed armor every time someone asked me a question.

My opinions are going to change when I come to a realization or conclusion that forces me to question my previously held notions on the subject. My opinion is not going to change because you try to pluck at my heart strings, type me an essay, give me anecdotes from your life, storm off in a huff, stop talking to me, or withhold something I want.

If I don't like something and I happen to volunteer that information, don't assume that just because I don't like it...that means I believe no one else should, thus making me some bitter know it all who thinks I fart roses.

I don't expect anything from anyone...and I definitely don't expect anyone to think like me...nor do I want anyone to.

Since when does expressing your own opinion mean you want to change the world?

There are many things that I don't like, don't see the need for and don't understand...I don't need anyone's help in changing that. I don't need anyone to help me see the light. I don't need anyone to make me a believer.

If it's meant for me to change the way I feel...I will...on my own.

So please...save the violins, the anger, the misunderstanding, the namecalling, the disclaimers, the conclusion jumping and the prognosticating.

I don't understand why people get so wrapped up in other people's opinions but then want to complain about people judging them.

Or why people say something like "everyone's entitled to their own opinions" while trying to change someone else's. Obviously, everyone's not entitled to their opinion if they can't have one without having to defend it.

All week, it's been:

Me: I don't like such and such or so and so.

Person 1: Well, I like it. Let me tell you why I like it. Let me tell you why you shouldn't feel that way. Everybody likes it. It's great. After hearing all of that, how can you not like it? How could you possibly have that opinion?

Person 2: *all up in the convo for no reason* Co-sign Person 1. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean no one else can. Who do you think you are? Maybe one day you will realize how wrong your opinions are. Let me assume that you feel a certain way and then label you. And then I'm going to tell you what you are.

Me: *staring rather perplexed at this point and wondering when I ever said any of that* Relax, it's just my opinion. I'm not trying to make you feel any different.

Person 1: Well there must be something wrong with you. Because I don't know how you could possibly still feel that way after I felt strongly enough to refute points that you didn't even make.

Person 2: Right again, Person 1. She thinks she knows everything. She thinks everyone thinks like her. She's just trying to force her opinions on others.

Me: But I never said any of that. All I said was I didn't like something. You know what...$#@% it. It's not even worth it.

I'm tired of people assuming I mean something when I make it a point to say exactly what I mean.

You don't have to think.

You don't have to guess.

You don't have to read between the lines.

It is all right there. It's either going to be obviously sarcastic or dead ass serious.

If I say the sky is green...I mean the sky is green. All I said was the sky is green. Don't read that as, "the sky is green and if you don't see the sky as green, you're an idiot and I'm going to call you an idiot," and then argue with me that the sky is really blue and I shouldn't call people idiots.

I swear...it's a good thing it was a pay week and the World Cup is heating up.

Who knew not liking Beyonce, Curt Schilling, Larry Brown, autographs, tight uniforms, tabloids, E-pills, Mark Cuban, and the management of a 3-9 Liberty team would cause such an uproar?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home